Welcome to my new Blog


I hope you all enjoy it but please be patient while I get into the swing of things. So let me start off by outlining how I see this Blog developing. In over ten year of working and travelling around the world I have had some great experiences. However I had no one to guide me on my path and I made a lot of mistakes along the way and I hope to pass on some advice to people wanting to succeed in the industry.


Thursday 14 January 2010

personal location beacon

OK my first post is a little technical but when I was given a demonstration of the Mcmurdo personal location beacon I knew straight away that this was a device that was going to save a lot of sailors lives. How the device works and functions is not new, the exciting part is the massive reduction in size and cost.

The device is based on a EPIRB which stands for "emergency position-indicating radio beacons". When in danger the device is activated by pushing a button and a signal is sent up to a satellite. The built in gps will send your exact location to rescue services all over the globe. Coverage is global and suitably equiped rescue craft can then home in on your signal. For a more detailed explaination of how EPIRB'S work please check out the wikipedia page.
EPIRB'S have become standard equipment on most ocean going yachts over the past couple of years however they have been expensive and bulky. The Mcmurdo is not much bigger then a mobile phone and is fully waterproof. It can easily be kept in the pocket of your foul weather gear. As a skipper working on lots of different vessels it means you are not reliant on the vessel to be properly equipped. It also provides you with protection on board smaller powerboats and sail boats or you can activate it if you happen to fall overboard. I will be writing extensively on strategies to avoid and survive falling overboard in the coming months.
I have been rescued from the ocean thanks to an EPIRB and their is no question that it saved my life. This device at 300 dollars is really a must have for all regular water users. It must also be noted that EPIRBS can also be used on land and are becoming increasing popular with climbers/walkers/skiers in remote locations that are not covered by a mobile phone network.
For purchasing online I recommend West Marine in the USA with really efficient overseas delivery or your local chandlers.




No comments:

Post a Comment